-->

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 6: Santa's Workshop

Sorting Toys for Children with the Redford Goodfellows


I feel like I am really beginning to get into the swing of all this. My dear friend from work, Jane told me she felt inspired. Yesterday she volunteered at the Redford Goodfellows. They were sorting and bagging all of the toys they've collected for children in need. She said she had a very good time doing it and let me know that they were doing it again today. An opportunity presented itself and I said YES. We headed out to a closed elementary school in Redford, MI. In one of the heat-less classrooms sat bags and boxes of donated toys just waiting to be sorted. We dove right in. Sorting toys in categories like games, boys, girls, arts and crafts, and books. After the sorting was complete it was time to bag. We got lists of children in each family. The kids ages varied from 1-12. We gave each child in the family a big toy, small toy, book, puzzle, stuffed animal, and game. Then we tagged each bag with a number and sent them to be loaded. Jane says they had a lot less toys today than they did yesterday. There wasn't many toys donated for the older children. Cathy, the dedicated organizer and planner of the drive, said that she always tells people to donate for older children because they never have enough. Good to know. I noticed that many people volunteer. Many older people, many parents and their children. I have also noticed that their is a serious absence of 20 and 30 somethings. I would be nice to see more faces like mine. Who knows, it is still early in the month, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised. I had a great time playing Santa yet again. I think I am even going to go back Saturday morning to help out.

Babes in Toyland

Sorting

Bagging (well over 200 families will receive gifts)






 There are Goodfellows in many, many cities and towns throughout Michigan. Here are a list of their websites. They are only active during Christmas and I am sure they can use all they can get. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment