-->

Monday, December 3, 2012

Day 1: Plymouth Goodfellows




Plymouth Goodfellows—No child without a Christmas

December 1st 2012

My alarm went off at 7:30am on this Saturday morning. Nothing about me wanted to get out of bed. My boyfriend, Jason works nights so I was up far too late spending some quality time with him. Not to mention its SATURDAY morning. My time to stay in the warm blanket filled bed until I laze my way into my day. It however is the 1st and I knew I couldn’t start my journey the wrong way so out of bed I got. I dressed in my warm festive clothes and headed out the door. I met up with my gal pal, Mandie and we were ready to volunteer. All I knew is that we were meeting one of Mandie’s girlfriends, who would take us to collect donations for the Goodfellows. We met up with Kris and she informed us that we would be collecting in Plymouth. That is of course, my stomping grounds, so navigation was sure to be easy. We got our bags and collection cans (and a lovely breakfast on behalf of the Goodfellows)  and headed to Leo’s Coney Island on Ann Arbor Rd. 





This is my official helper button. Officially official.



Collection Can. Gimmie that money, honey!!




This is Mandie getting her Good Samaritan on.



This is Kris. She was a pro. She has been volunteering for the Goodfellows for quite some time. She gives back quite a lot. She has left at 7 am every Saturday morning and ventured into Detroit to feed the homeless for the past 2 years. Talk about an inspiration. I am hoping to join her soon and see what it is all about! Wonderful to meet people who just care.


Feeling Festive and Friendly


We had some pretty good traffic in front of Leo’s. I enjoyed how awkward people got when we approached them. Some people just don’t want to be bothered by anyone. Despite that, lots of people gave. The weather was down right beautiful. In the end I am not sure of our grand total. As a guesstimate I would say over 100 bucks between the three of us. Not bad for 2 hours work.  Plymouth good fellows had been raising money for the needy for over 70 years. They run the “No Child without a Christmas” campaign. The donations raised are used to get presents, necessities, and food to underprivileged children on Christmas. Many people came out to help. Some of the volunteers were talking about how they have done this event with the Goodfellows for the past 34 years! I hope to join them again in the future. For more information on the Goodfellows and how you can help visit their website at www.plymouthgoodfellows.org


“Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat. Pleased to put a penny in an old man’s hat. If you haven’t got a penny a ha'penny will do. If you haven’t got a ha'penny then God bless you.”

1 comment: