-->

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day 11: Child's Play

Taking Some Cool Kids to Bell Ring

I have had not one, but two great experiences ringing the bell. My girlfriend, Mandie had expressed that she wanted to take her nephew, Caleb to ring the bell. I thought, what an awesome idea! Teaching some little ones how to pay it forward. The first buddy that popped into my head was Jason's nephew, Alex. Alex is nine and Caleb is seven (they are both also victims of the St. Nick caper). These ages are perfect because they are still kids, they still believe! I picked up a bundled Alex after work and we headed to meet our bell ringing partners. Alex told me all about St. Nick and the candy in his shoes on our drive. I did not prompt him at all. We were talking Santa and he brought it up. He practically recited the entire letter to me. My insides were freaking out! Joy! We decided to pick up a pizza. A bell ring must be well nourished, you know. After pizza and a little homework/coloring we headed to the local KMART to get to ringing. Let me tell you the weather was not as pleasant as it had been my first time. The entrance of the KMART where we stood was like a wind vortex. I can honestly say that this is the first time this winter I have been truly cold. It was a windy 29 degrees. We were prepared with scarves, hats (mine was in the fashion of Santa, of course), gloves and plenty of layers. I can't imagine how much you would have to bundle if it was a real Michigan winter. Bravo to those before me. We hit a snag when we arrived. THERE WAS ONLY ONE BELL! Away into KMART I flew like a flash. The only bells I could find were attached to a wreath hanger. This would have to do. They made a nice jingle, Like Santa!, said Alex! The boys said Happy Holidays to every single person who came in and out. Nice and loud, with no fear like only a child could do. People were pretty generous, how could you not be? Every once in a while Caleb would shout after them, And a Happy New Year! Adorable. Warms the cockles, of my heart that is. About halfway through when the enthusiasm was starting to wear off the most wonderful Jane showed up with hot cocoa! Just in time. Alex was particularly impressed that it was home made. What a lovely act of kindness from a lovely person. I was so proud of the two of them. I noticed how much Alex has grown up since I met him at the sweet age of four. He braved the cold taking very few breaks. He didn't complain. He worked hard and smiled a lot. Caleb was great too, but seeing the little gentleman that Alex is growing into was very rewarding for me. Mandie and I really tried to emphasize who, what, when, where, why, and how they were helping people. I hope they felt proud of what they did today. I hope it sticks with them. I love the energy I get from being around children. A very good day today, yes indeed. :)

Meet Caleb and Alex
 

 Our make shift bell. Make it work!


 The wind tunnel...BRRRRRRR


The good Samaritans
 
 
 
 Bundled Buddies



“Kids don't remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.”
― Jim Henson

3 comments:

  1. made my whole being burst in joy. Children so pure. You have made an amazing memory for them and it will sit in the core. Love you!

    ReplyDelete