-->

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Peppermint Stick from Old Saint Nick.

Saint Nicholas Day Surprise

December 5th, 2012

Today is the eve of Saint Nicholas Day. What is Saint Nicholas day you ask? Well it was a holiday created by the Catholic church to celebrate the feast of St. Nicholas, patron saint of children. St. Nick was the man who inspired the legend, Santa Claus. My family and I were fortunate enough to live in Germany (Germany KNOWS how to do Christmas) and while we were there we adopted many traditions. On the eve of Saint Nicholas day children in Germany put their shoes outside, when they wake in the morning the shoes have been filled with treats by Saint Nicholas himself. I remember having a lot of fun with this tradition. I thought I would teach some American kids the tradition as well. I had my co-worker Amanda's little sisters put out shoes. I had my boyfriend Jason's nephew put out shoes. I also had my friend Mandie's nephew put out shoes. The kids are all around 8, which is the perfect age!  I made sure their parents did not say why they needed to do so. Then after they all went to bed I drove to their houses and filled their shoes with treats and a little story about the tradition. Here is the story


Today is Noel, Kris Kringle, or St. Nicholas Day!!!!!!! Before there was Santa Claus, there was St. Nicholas. St. Nicholas was a very wealthy man. His parents left him loads of money, more money than he knew what to do with. St. Nicholas was also a kind and giving man. He traveled the lands and would drop gold and presents into the chimneys for families in needs. He also would fill the children’s shoes with goodies and toys. Nicholas was made a saint because of all his charity. He is the patron saint of all children. In many countries around the world people still celebrate St. Nicholas, or as you know him better, Santa Claus, the man. On the eve of December 6th, children put their shoes outside and if they have been good St. Nicholas will fill them with treats! Looks like you have been good this year! If you ever have any doubt that Santa is real, just remember St. Nick is real; he is in the history books! Also, if you get gifts on St. Nicholas day there is a good chance you won’t get coal on Christmas. Merry Merry Christmas to you!!!


  I had lots of fun being a little elf. I am excited to hear about their reactions tomorrow. I can remember how purely excited things like this made me as a kid. I hope I am able to ignite that feeling in these great kids. Part of what makes Christmas so fun is the traditions. It takes effort to keep traditions alive. I hope I was able to pass along my families traditions to theirs!


The haul


This is Mandie's nephew Caleb's little shoe He only left out one shoe but it got stuffed full.

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.” 

― Laura Ingalls Wilder

3 comments:

  1. I used to freak out when we did the shoe thing outside our classroom at school during nap time...trying to stay awake to catch a glimpse! See? He IS real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful surprise for those children. This would be an awesome thing to do at an orphange or at a children's hospital. Maybe the girls and I will look into the possibility for next year. Love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so much fun. The kids totally FREAKED!!

    ReplyDelete